- Interventional Cardiologist, Victoria, BC; and Professor of Medical Sciences, University of Victoria
- Strong Clinical and Basic Science research interests
- Clinical research interests: strategies for treating stable and unstable coronary disease, revascularization strategies, epidemiological research, complex mathematical and statistical modelling and decision-analytical modelling
- Basic science research interest: Molecular mechanisms of thrombosis, post-transcriptional mRNA regulation, mRNA binding proteins (TTP), ADP ribosylation, regulation of tissue factor expression, inflammatory gene expression (p38 and MAPK pathways), in vivo animal thrombosis models (ferric chloride and laser models), intravital microscopy.
- Multiple international awards/recognition: Late breaking Clinical trials SCAI 2017, British Cardiovascular Intervention Society Young Investigator Award 2014, ACCF Herman K Gold Award 2013, ACC Young Investigator Award 2013, British Cardiovascular Society Young Investigator Award 2012, British Atherosclerosis Society Young Investigator Award 2012, British Society for Cardiovascular Research Young Investigator Award 2012
- >30 first author journal publications, 4 textbooks, 5 Live cases (complex coronary intervention)
- Primary author of leading MRCP UK Internal Medicine textbooks 2010-Present (British Medical Association Book Award)
Bilal Iqbal BSc MBBS MRCP PhD FRCP
Dr. Bilal Iqbal is an interventional cardiologist having trained in London, UK. He is currently on works at Royal Jubilee Hospital, and is a Professor of Medical Sciences at the University of Victoria, Canada. Prior to his appointment in Victoria, Dr. Iqbal was a full-time Interventional Cardiologist at the Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospital in London, UK. He has ongoing basic science research interests in the signaling mechanisms underlying thrombosis and is actively involved in clinical research spanning all aspects of Interventional Cardiology with specific interests in statistical modelling and decision-analytic models.