- Associate Professor (tenured), UBC Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Faculty, UBC Collaboration for Outcomes Research & Evaluation
- Currently David H MacDonald Professor in Clinical Pharmacy
- Primary research interests: improving pharmacotherapeutic outcomes for patients with cardiovascular disease, patient-reported outcomes, clinical and economic outcomes related to medication adherence.
- Research funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Canadian Cardiovascular Society, Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute
Peter Loewen, BSc(Pharm) PharmD ACPR FCSHP
Associate Professor (Tenured)
Peter Loewen is an Associate Professor of Pharmacy at UBC, a member of the UBC Collaboration for Outcomes Research & Evaluation. He completed his pharmacy degree and residency training at UBC and BC Children’s Hospital, respectively, and his Doctor of Pharmacy at UBC. Dr. Loewen subsequently practiced as a clinical pharmacist at UBC and Vancouver General Hospitals for 25 years, and has served as Chair of the BC Ministry of Health’s Drug Benefits Council, Chair or the UBC Clinical Research Ethics Board, and Director of Doctor of Pharmacy programs at UBC. Dr. Loewen has received many awards for research and teaching, including the UBC Killam Teaching Prize and induction as a Fellow of the Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists. He currently teaches therapeutics at UBC and supervises MSc and PhD students. His research focuses on improving pharmacotherapeutic outcomes for patients with cardiovascular disease, particularly atrial fibrillation; patients’ perceptions of their condition and care; patient shared decision-making; and relationships between medication adherence and clinical and economic outcomes. Dr. Loewen currently holds the David H MacDonald Professorship in Clinical Pharmacy.