- Professor of Pediatrics and Head, Division of Pediatric Cardiology, University of British Columbia
- Adjunct professor at Simon Fraser University
- Medical Director, Children’s Heart Centre, BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH)
- Pediatric lead, Provincial Inherited Arrhythmia program
- Past-president of Pediatric and Congenital Electrophysiology Society
- Member, SADS Foundation, Medical Advisory Board
- Sole pediatric electrophysiologist at BCCH
- Research focus on sudden death in the young, autonomic nervous system through childhood, supraventricular arrhythmias
- PI, International Pediatric CPVT registry (Heart and Stroke funded)
- >175 peer-reviewed publications
Shubhayan Sanatani MD FRCPC FHRS CCDS
Dr. Sanatani obtained his MD from UBC in 1993, completed a Pediatric Residency at Queen’s University and a Pediatric Cardiology fellowship at UBC with advanced training in cardiac electrophysiology at Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children and UBC. Dr. Sanatani was recruited to the faculty as an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at UBC and a Pediatric Cardiologist and Director of Cardiac Pacing and Electrophysiology at BCCH in 2001. He was promoted to Associate Professor in 2008.
Dr. Sanatani is a passionate teacher and trainee mentor, recognized by awards in both areas. He has been involved in training 10 pediatric cardiology subspecialty residents and 11 clinical fellows. His academic interests are rooted in the field of cardiac electrophysiology, with a focus on understanding and preventing sudden unexpected death due to cardiac arrhythmias in the pediatric population. He is the pediatric lead of the BC Inherited Arrhythmia Program in collaboration with Dr. Andrew Krahn, Head of the Division of Cardiology (Internal Medicine) and Dr. Laura Arbour (Medical Genetics). Dr. Sanatani’s expertise in this field has been recognized by invitations to participate on national guidelines committees, on the Canadian and American Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndrome Foundations medical advisory committees, and to speak at regional, national and international meetings. Research funding from both industry and several extramural agencies, including CIHR and the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, have supported over 100 publications.
He is a founding member of the Canadian Heart Rhythm Society and is currently the VP Research for the Pediatric and Congenital Electrophysiology Society (PACES). Dr. Sanatani is excited about these new leadership roles as he takes the reins from Dr. Derek Human, his long-time mentor, and the Pediatric Cardiology Division Head since 1993.